Building Manager (Vancouver)
Concert is an award-winning diversified real estate enterprise with assets in excess of $3.7 billion in market value and shareholder equity of approximately $2.2 billion. Exclusively owned by Canadian union and management pension plans, Concert is involved in developing rental apartments, condominium homes and retirement communities, and acquiring, developing and managing commercial and industrial properties in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.
This role reports directly to the Property Manager located in Vancouver, BC, and supports the Property Manager for 889 Harbourside, North Vancouver. The Building Manager oversees the administrative and maintenance operations of 1190 Hornby Street and 889 Harbourside working with building support staff to maintain a first class standard that enhances property appeal and provide consistent and superior tenant satisfaction.
- Ensure the completion of all building maintenance requests from Tenants in a professional & courteous manner, carry out the repair, and when necessary call in a sub-trade. Keep tenants informed, verbally and in writing, and follow through as required.
- Conduct regular building, ground and unit inspections and follow up with any maintenance required.
Oversee the routine housekeeping and preventive maintenance and repairs throughout the property, including all interior and exterior common areas:
- Establish and monitor maintenance schedules for on-site staff
- Provide training and mentoring of building operation staff
- Supervise and monitor building operation staff including Day Porter to ensure quality work and adherence to Concert’s Policies, Principals and Vision
- Co-ordinate and supervise routine and preventive maintenance to mechanical, electrical and plumbing system as performed by outside contractors
- Identify, investigate and rectify heating and/or cooling issues, adjust programmable thermostats, change air filters as directed.
- Ongoing liaison with contractors and other suppliers, obtain quotes for work required.
- Ensure that all contractors’ performance (work and customer service) meet Concert’s standards.
- Complete incident reporting for all break-ins, property damage, fires or floods and advise the Property Manager.
- Daily monitoring & pro-active management of building automated systems.
- Daily cleaning inspections. Liaising with the janitorial contractor.
- Coordinate all major capital projects and monitor all construction activities within the building. Review and provide commentary on Tenant Improvement plans. Ensure all contractors and Tenants abide by the Tenant Design/Improvement Guidelines and Construction Rules and Regulations.
- Complete minor plumbing repairs and identify issues requiring the attention of a plumber.
- Minor electrical repairs such as change light switches, and electrical outlets, install a light fixture, change a ballast (120 Volt only) etc., if licensed. Contact electricians as required.
- All other hands-on housekeeping, repair and maintenance services to the common areas & washrooms, building exterior, walkways, parking areas, etc. in order to maintain a first class appearance.
- Inspection and physical replacement of all air filters on make-up air units.
- Test emergency generator and fire alarm system once every month and complete emergency generator log sheet. Coordinate bi-annual maintenance of generator and monitor fuel storage tanks.
- Monitor and maintain Key Scan access system including timed events, access card activations, cancellations, etc.
- Directing, coordinating and participating in the fire and life safety operations and procedures.
- Schedule and oversee tenant move-ins and move-outs.
- Seasonal maintenance and inspections as required.
- Promote and assist with recommendations for improvements to the building that relate to sustainability, energy conservation implementation, and recycling, composting and waste reduction.
- Learn and utilize the following software systems in order to carry out the requirements of the position: Procure to Pay System, the CRM customer service system, Keyscan System, Reliable Controls DDC Control System.
- The Building Manager will rotate with the Building Operator being on call after hours and on weekends and Holidays, and when on call will be reachable at all times by cell phone.
Skills & Experience
- High school diploma supplemented with post-secondary courses
- 5 years’ in all areas of building operations, including mechanical, fire and safety, electrical and HVAC systems. General building construction knowledge and experience. Ability to read, review and comprehend construction drawings.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- 5th Class Power Engineer is an asset
- Ability to build strong internal and external relationships
- Effective time management skills and ability to handle multiple deadlines
- Sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs with specific emphasis on Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record.
This is a general description of the tasks and skills. Additional responsibilities and duties may be required to successfully perform this position.
Join the Concert Team!
From the people who own our company to the people we employ, people are what makes Concert a developer with a difference. At Concert, we offer competitive pay, extended health benefits, comprehensive pension package, fitness benefits, transit subsidies, education assistance program and the opportunity to work with a unique group with varied backgrounds.
If you are interested in this role and have the necessary qualifications, please kindly forward your email of intent to Human Resources quoting the name of the position in the subject line to: WebHR@ConcertProperties.com
Please be advised that only qualified, short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in Concert.