Senior Accountant, Seniors Housing - Vancouver
Reporting to the Director Finance & Operations, Seniors Housing, the Senior Accountant provides accounting expertise with a primary emphasis on the delivery of accurate and timely financial reporting for a portfolio of seniors’ retirement residences. The role requires a detail oriented professional who is adept at working with the management team in our communities and the departments within head office to provide an accurate picture of the seniors’ division financial performance that will be relied upon by management, shareholders and external users.
- Responsible for the preparation of Monthly / Quarterly / Annual Financial Statements, and Consolidation working papers ensuring adherence to Corporate Accounting policies and guidelines.
- Preparation of month end journal entries and account reconciliations
- Effectively reviews and analyses financial statements
- Review GST returns and ensure timely filings
- Assist in the development of the annual business plan and corporate budgeting
- Liaises with community managers, corporate, and Seniors management team
- Liaises with auditors for corporate and co-ownership financial statement audits
- Liaises with Corporate Accounting to ensure that all required supporting information and schedules are supplied within monthly, quarterly and annual reporting deadlines.
- Liaises with the Financial Information Systems team and assist as needed with the implementation of all Financial Systems and reporting initiatives.
- Train the property accountant(s) on current processes and procedures
- Ensure consistency of processes and procedures completed by the team and display pro-active thinking skills
- Review and sign off on the property accountant’s work
- Resolve issues/questions from the team
- Review monthly management fee calculations
- Prepare monthly rent billing and electronic pre-authorized rent payment transfers, analyze outstanding arrears reports and prepare daily NSFs as required
- Deposit, record, and reconcile the cheques applicable to multiple properties, and leasing commissions fees (payables and receivables)
- Effective cross-department communication
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Willing and able to contribute to the continuous improvement of the department/company, exploring and developing efficiencies through process change and the use of technology. Proven aptitudes and experience in this area is highly desirable.
- A recently professionally designated accountant
- Minimum 3 years of progressive accounting experience
- Experience in public practice is an asset
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Professional demeanour with strong interpersonal, motivational and communication skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A keen eye for detail and the ability to follow up and follow through
- Ability to work efficiently as a part of a team and independently
- Familiarity with Yardi Voyager is an asset
- Experience in real estate is an asset
- Experience supervising or mentoring junior staff is preferred
- Proficiency with MS Office suite and in depth knowledge of Excel
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Professional accounting designation - CPA required
- University degree in Business/Accounting/Commerce is an asset
- Intermediate to advanced MS Excel and MS Office - ability to design and maintain spreadsheets, written procedures and written correspondence (including emails)
If you are interested in this role and have the necessary qualifications, please kindly forward your resume in PDF or MS Word format quoting the name of the position in the subject line to: WebHR@ConcertProperties.com.
Please be advised that only qualified, short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in Concert.